I love fall! Here comes the warm, feel good meals along with football and family outings. I try to be the kind of mom who feeds my family as healthy and tastefully as possible! I try not to sacrifice taste for healthy. So sometimes I have to find small ways to cut down or cut out bad stuff and increase the good stuff.
Chili is not so bad to begin with, other than the salt. “Salt is the devil”, I was once told. Bread is his sister, lol. So I came up with this recipe for a crock pot or any pot really.
You can use all your favorite (healthier or not) brands in here which will make the meal more appealing and encourage continued healthy meals. I would try to find products with lower salt content and higher fiber. Jennie-O has really been stepping up their game. They have lean ground turkey, in a variety of seasonings, that I used for this chili.
That is a really good way to start eating better. I hope your family loves this as ours does!
- 48 oz of white, great northern or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups of salsa (your favorite, red or green)
- 2 cups of fat free chicken broth
- 1 package or 1.25# lean ground turkey
- ½ cup of Mexicorn (corn with red bell peppers and green chili, mild)
- 1 cup of mozzarella
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
- Add all ingredients, except cheese and turkey, to a crock pot. Turn on crock to low.
- Brown turkey in a pan and transfer turkey to a WARM crock pot.
- Cook on LOW 4-6 hours. Can be cooked on buffet or warm setting for 8 hours.
- Spoon into bowles. Add cheese to each bowl along with a small dab of sour cream and a pinch of cilantro.
I was provided #Jennie-O ground turkey for review. The opinions are my own.