How can you go wrong with a cool clay heart that can be passed out for a classroom Valentine’s treat? I am not really fond of handing out candy to our kids’ classes, so this is a great option instead. For the girls, we actually add a little glitter to add that sparkle. This was origianlly provided my familyfun.com many years ago, but it always pleases.
Play Clay Heart
- 3 cups of white flour
- 1 1/2 cups of salt
- 1 1/2 Tbs of cream of tartar
- 3 1/4 cups of water
- 6 Tbs of veg oil
- Red food coloring
- Rolling pin
- Heart shaped cookie cutters
- Small cellophane bags (walmart wedding crafts)
- White paper
- Hole punch
- Mix flour, salt and tartar in a medium pan.
- Separate bowl, mix liquids then adding drops of food color until satisfied with color.
- Pour liquid over dry ingredients in pan and stir. Cook over med-low heat stirring constantly, until mixture holds together and gets too hard to stir. (It will stiffen even more as it cools 5-10 mins)
- Knead clay briefly, then roll out to 3/4 inch thick and cut with cookie cutter.
- Place each heart in a cello bag. Decorate white paper tags, punch holes in tags, and tie each bag closed with ribbon and a tag.