Creamy, sweet and tart coolness floating over your tongue making promises of summertime breezes to come! Nothing can transport us back to our childhood like homemade comfort food. Create some memories for your children to do the same with this creamy, dreamy Strawberry & Rhubarb Ice Cream.
- 3 cups of sliced fresh rhubarb (or defrosted, drained frozen)
- 6 medium strawberries
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375. In an ungreased 13x9 baking dish, combine rhubarb, strawberries and sugar. Cover, bake for 30-40 minutes until tender.
- Let cool slightly and place in blender. Process until pureed. Add lemon juice, Place in bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- In another bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in rhubarb. Transfer to a ice cream machine or into a 1 quart freezer safe container. Stir every 15 minutes for the first hour and then freeze overnight, covered or until it is firm. Yields about 3 cups.
- A small drop of peppermint extract or a pinch of lavender flowers would do well also.