This sugar is not “good” for you as far as sugar goes, but it is better than the over processed other stuff. Sugar should be eaten in moderation especially since it is added to everything in a paackage. Keep in mind, sugar for dogs is always bad. Had to add something in there for Fido.
- Stevia (not Truvia due to additional ingredients)
- Sugar alcohol (xylitol, sorbitol, erythritol) Don’t feed to dogs!
- Raw local honey
- Blackstrap molasses
- Real Maple Syrup
This list was adapted from the Rodale Institute.
This was an article from Rodale Institute on some ingredients that people should be aware of. Now, I am not saying we have to completely remove them (unless we want to) but we should cut them down in our diets. Some of these I would never have suspected but it really does sound logical how these things can be hurtful in large quantities; i.e. as when they are in every product we consumer multiple times a day.
The sad truth is that a lot of foods and drinks contain large quantities of fillers, or cheap ingredients. These are things that when eaten in such large amounts cause such harmful results. Anything in large quantities is not good. 🙂
Not So Good Natural Ingredient List
- Carrageen – derived from seaweed. Linked to inflammation like arthiritis, arteriosclerosis, inflammatory bowel disease. (Dairy)
- Caramel Coloring – used to be sugar heated up. Now is suger heated up with ammonium compounds creating cancer causing byproducts. (Soda, lunch meat, anything that is colored brown)
- Palm Oil – raises bad LDL as much as partiallyhydrogenated soybean oil. (Cookies, chips)
- Evaporated Cane Juice – refined white sugar crystals. These crystals are then processed more to remove vitamins and minerals. FDA made it illegal to call it juice which is used in “100% juice” boxes.
- Fruit Juice Concentrate – Apple, pear, white grape which have very high fructose levels can cause memory problems and heart problems. (Use only natural sugars provided in another post)
- High Fructose Corn Syrup – FDA ruled it is not natural due to super processing. The process can introduce mercury into the fructose. The FDA had to overturn this ruling in 2 months due to Corn Refiners Association backlash. Possibilities are enough for my family.
Adapted from Rodale Institute News.