The weather may be warming up outside, but we now have more things going on after school. I still need to feed my family healthy meals but cannot be home to do so all the time. I adapted this recipe from Jennie-O with food that I had on hand.
I used organic beans, tomatoes, chicken broth, and quinoa with Jennie-O Lean Breakfast Sausage. I cooked the sausage through and then added all the ingredients in my crock pot. All of my ingredients were gluten free also, including Jennie-O’s sausage. Bonus!
Next time I think I will throw a half bottle of beer in also. We completed our bowls with cheddar cheese and sour cream.
- Jennie-O Lean Breakfast Sausage or Ground Turkey (about 1 pound)
- ½ onion chopped
- ½ green pepper chopped
- 1 Tb chili powder (may need ½ Tb more to taste)
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 3 c chicken broth
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can Navy beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ c quinoa uncoooked
- ½ cup of salsa
- Cook turkey as specified on the package (depending on which product used)
- In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat adding turkey, onion, green pepper, gar lic, chili powder.
- Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add broth, tomatoes, beans, salsa and quinoa to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW 4 hours or until chili thickens.
- Place chili into bowls.
- Serve with desired toppings; sour cream, cilantro, cheese.
The kids loved this. It was prepared in 20 minutes with the rest of the cooking time done sitting in a crock pot while we did our running around. We got home at 5:30p and dinner was waiting. You have gotta love that! Enjoy!